Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Future for the Kids

I'm sorry for my absence the last few days, but I didn't have power!  Glad to be back online and able to share what has been going on with the trip.

On Friday, our planned cleanup in Cité Soleil was cancelled because they weren't able to secure a truck, so instead we went to a different part of Cité Soleil with friends from GRU.  We visited a neighborhood where our friend Frantz has been trying to secure a place for the children and women of the community so they have a safe environment to learn & play.  


Frantz, Found of Future for the Kids.


Most of the children come from single parent homes, and are unsupervised for most of the day, so his organization, Future for the Kids provides them with activities, meals and supervision.  I'm working on a video for him about the organization which I'll post when I'm home, so I'll keep this brief, but after hearing this story I felt compelled to try and help.  


A woman in the community had donated a building to Future for the Kids so Frantz and the children decorated and painted the space, and were ready to move in.  The children were ecstatic!  Unfortunately, once the woman saw how beautiful the room looked after they cleaned it up, she took it back.  Despite the setback, Frantz is still working with the community and has found a small lot of land that he wants to buy for the children.  It's only $900 and I'm determined to try and help him raise the money.  It's definitely going to need a lot of work, it's filled with trash and has no structure, but I see it as a project the community can work on together.  


After spending time with "Sister" and the kids in the community, I can honestly say a center for Future for the Kids will make a difference in their lives.  Without it, they are literally playing in the gutters and streets.  When we visited, we brought a One World Futbol Project soccer ball and sidewalk chalk for the kids; their smiles were electric.  Seeing the children simply be children literally made my day.  If you're interested in helping make Future for the Kid's community center a reality please send me an email at samantha.yarock@gmail.com.  Mesi Anpil!!


Frantz & children with the One World Futbol - oh how kids love soccer.
Girls using the sidewalk chalk as lipstick!

No comments:

Post a Comment