Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Haitian Banksy meets JR

I'm sorry for disappearing, but the last week has been crazy!  So many exciting and inspiring things have been going on that I ended up extending the trip.  I wasn't then and I'm still not ready to leave.  Haiti really holds on tight...

I have so many stories and experiences I want to share since my last post.  As I'm going through my pictures and notes, I'm amazed at how much we've done in such a short period of time.  Logistically, Haiti can be really difficult, but it definitely is a place where amazing things can happen.  You just can't plan for them.

On Friday, something amazing did happen.  It was a moment when everything felt right and I knew I was in the right place at the right time.  As you know, we've spent the majority of our trip installing art and participating in the Inside Out Project.  Jerry, the Haitian artist that collaborated with us on the memorial & whose eyes we wheat pasted at Haiti Communitere, really took to the project.  He loved the new technique and vision and really wanted to meet JR.  At first, I thought that was an outlandish dream, but as I said before, incredible things happen here.  Through a series of random coincidences and great luck, Jerry's wish came true.

JR & Jerry


It turns out that JR and his team were here the same time as us bringing the Inside Out Project to Haiti.   Bringing Jerry and JR together was definitely a highlight of this trip.  It's what the whole project is about; international collaboration on a large scale art project.

So, after months of preparation, we stood on a street corner in Haiti with JR and Jerry, talking about wheat paste techniques and street art.  It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment